Which Social Media Platforms Are Right For Your Business?
Updated (originally posted on
Your small business needs to be on social media. If you aren’t, you’re missing out on cheap and effective marketing tools. With almost 70 percent of Americans on social media, your social media campaigns can reach a lot of people.
However, not every social media platform is a good fit for every business. You should invest your time and skills in the platforms where you're most likely to reach and engage with your target audience.
To pick the best social media network for your business, learn about the top channels and how to use them for business. Here are the basics you should know about the most popular social media platforms.
Every small business should be on Facebook. With more than 2.41 billion monthly users, small businesses can use Facebook in a number of ways to promote services, increase customer support and boost recognition.
Using Facebook for business may seem difficult, because its rules and algorithms change frequently. However, with the right strategies, Facebook is one of the best tools for targeting a specific audience through paid campaigns. It knows a lot about its users (more so than we ever thought), and it uses this information to your advantage when you purchase ads.
- 2.41 billion monthly active users
- 2.1 billion daily active users
- 68% of U.S. adults use Facebook, slightly more women than men
- 74% of users visit Facebook at least once a day
Facebook Tips for Businesses:
- Create a business Page, not a personal profile.
- Claim your Page's vanity URL.
- Optimize your "About" section -- especially the preview.
- Choose a call-to-action button.
- Make sure your blog posts' meta descriptions are complete.
- Post your most compelling visual content.
- Use Audience Insights to learn more about your audience.
If you're like many small business owners, you likely wear many hats, tackling sales, content marketing, bookkeeping, and customer service, among others. Trying to accomplish all these tasks can be challenging - but thankfully, with small, achievable goals, a step-by-step action plan, and the right tools, you can make your vision a reality.
One of the tools that can help your B2B business grow is LinkedIn.
- 603 million users, 303 million monthly active users
- 90 million LinkedIn users are senior level influencers and 63 million are in decision-making positions.
- There are 87 million Millennials on LinkedIn with 11 million in decision-making positions.
- 49% of LinkedIn users make more than $75,000
LinkedIn Tips for Businesses:
- Complete your LinkedIn company profile (fully - company pages with complete profiles receive up to 2X more visitors)
- Create a consistent posting schedule
- Re-Buffer your top content
- Engage your colleagues and employees
- Promote your company beyond LinkedIn
As Facebook refocuses on connecting people with content from family and friends, Instagram has become “the new home for brands,” where engagement is high, followers are brand-loyal, and real business goals can be achieved.
- 1 billion monthly active users
- 500 million daily active users
- 4.2 billion likes per day
- 66% of users between the ages of 18-29
- 70% of users look up a brand on Instagram
- 80% of users follow at least one brand on Instagram
Instagram Tips for Businesses:
- Find, follow, and interact with your ideal customers
- Create content that appeals to your target audience
- Fill out your bio strategically
- Post high-quality photos - Don’t worry – you don’t need professional photography skills or even a good camera to pull this off. All you need is your iPhone camera.
- Use #hashtags (just don't overdo it)
- Offer discounts
- Make sure your feed is cohesive
- Craft some killer copy
From hashtags and pinned tweets to Twitter lists and social media influencers, there's a lot to Twitter. With the right marketing plan, businesses can use the platform to create successful social media campaigns to increase sales, boost brand recognition and increase customer service.
- 330 million monthly active users
- 500 million tweets sent per day
- 34% femails and 66% males
- 24% of all internet males users use Twitter whereas 21% of all female internet users use Twitter
- Roughly 42% of Twitter users are on the platform daily
Twitter Tips for Businesses:
- Create the right handle, profile photo, and header image.
- Optimize your bio to showcase your brand's personality.
- Tweet during peak hours.
- Keep hashtag use to a minimum (and use the right ones).
- Run some advanced searches.
- Add images to tweets to increase retweets
- Utilize Twitter video for even more engagement
- Conduct polls to interact with followers
- Harness the power of Twitter Ads
Pinterest is a social network that focuses on the power of images. Since it is so different from its social media counterparts, namely Twitter and Facebook, a whole new set of rules and best practices apply when it comes to using it for your small business. Researching how other small business owners are using Pinterest is vital.
- 295 million monthly active users, 83% female
- 50% of new sign-ups are men
- 34% of Pinterest users are Americans aged 18 to 49
- 80% of Pinners are on mobile
Pinterest Tips for Businesses:
- Open a business account
- Make sure people can find your pins
- Pin coupon codes
- Show your products in action
- Create unique boards
- Engage with your followers
The days of Snapchat being used solely for sending pictures between friends are over.
This social media platform has evolved. Your company can’t afford to ignore the impact this marketing channel can have on your business.
It’s an absolute necessity if you’re focusing on Generation Z as your target market. That’s because 71% of Gen Z use Snapchat as part of their daily routines. Plus, 51% of this group use Snapchat roughly 11 times each day.
While Snapchat is known for its popularity with teens, its market penetration is starting to hit young adults and older generations as well.
- 3113 million montly active users, 71% under 34 and 70% female
- 3 billion snaps (photos & videos) created every day
- 30+ minutes spent on the app per day for users 25 and under
- Snapchat reaches over 90% of all 13-24 year olds and nearly 75% of 13-34 year olds in the U.S.
Snapchat Tips for Businesses:
- Post to your story often
- Promote your Snapchat account on other marketing channels
- Create a sponsored lens
- Let social influencers take over your account
- Feature user-generated content
- Offer discounts and promo codes