Using Instagram and Other Stories Ads for Your Business
So you've been asking yourself: Should I use Stories Ads for my Business? Will they be effective? Well the answer is a resounding YES! Not only are Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat Stories fun and creative, but they are proving every day to be great for growing your engagement, building brand awareness, driving traffic to your website, and even making ecommerce sales.
What You Need to Know About Stories Ads on Instagram
What Are Stories Ads?
Stories are 24-hour, self-destructing video and photo streams, similar to Snapchat stories. Once a user starts watching the stories of people they follow, the videos automatically play one after another until they’re all caught up or decide to swipe out.
Instagram Stories Ads allow you to insert a short advertisement between users’ stories. The ads fit the format of a story, keeping the user experience consistent and the flow uninterrupted.
The ad can be composed of either a single photo or a video up to 15 seconds long and can be used to target various business objectives, from brand awareness to website sales.
Create Your Stories Ad
Social media users are finicky! Therefore it is important that you catch the viewer’s attention immediately. The first thing you need to do to create a strong impression quickly is to use only high-quality media whether you opt for photo or video.
If you go with a photo ad, make sure that you use a bright, bold photo with clear branding and simple messaging. The user should know who you are, what you do, and how you can help them quickly before the ad runs out and more importantly, their attention span runs out.
Be sure to follow the proper specifications for your images and videos to ensure that your ads run optimally in Stories.
- Aspect ratios: 9:16 and 4:5 to 1.91:1
- Maximum duration: 5 secs
- Maximum file size: 30 MB
- Supported image types: .jpg, .png
- Recommended resolution: 1,080 x 1,920 pixels
- Minimum resolution: 600 x 1067 pixels
- Video ratios: 9:16 and 16:9 to 4:5
- Video File Size: 4GB Max
- Video Length: 1 to 60 seconds
- Video Captions: Not available
- Video Sound: Optional
- Video thumbnail images that consist of more than 20% text may experience reduced delivery.
Those First Few Seconds: Make It Memorable
Photo ads only last 5 seconds and video ads last up to 15 seconds. Users will NOT be able to return to them later, so it’s important that you articulate the message of your ad in the first few seconds so they can decide to take action or follow up for more information.
- Interest the user with strong crisp visuals
- Engage them with a crystal clear message
- Spur them into immediate action with a call to action button
How do you get more people to see your Instagram Stories?
- Post the story on your Instagram Feed
- Be sure to mention other users
- Send them direct messages
- Re-purpose your story on other social media channels